When I was first tasked with creating the 14th course of the 15 course meal sponsored by Wayfair as a member of the Wayfair Homemakers Program I was overwhelmed with ideas. I was asked to create a fruit dessert which is a little bit different from what I usually do. At first I was stumped but once I started brainstorming I came up with so many amazing ideas that it was really hard to narrow it down to just one.
After a lot of debate I decided to go with Grapefruit as my fruit option which evolved into a sparkly, icy, crisp Pink Grapefruit Black Pepper and Champagne Granita. In my opinion the perfect dessert to end a summer meal on before relaxing with a delicious cup of coffee.
Pink Grapefruit Black Pepper and Champagne Granita
- 2 cups fresh squeezed pink grapefruit juice (approximately 4 medium sized grapefruits)
- 3/4 cups champagne
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Squeeze grapefruits until you have 2 cups of juice and set aside
- In a medium sauce pan combine champagne and sugar and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved
- Add grapefruit juice and pepper to champagne and sugar mixture and pour into a shallow pan and place in the freezer.
- Freeze for 30 minutes, then stir. Freeze for another 30 minutes, then break any frozen parts into large crystals by dragging a fork across the surface. Do this again in another 30 minutes (you should have a lot of ice by now,) and repeat every 15 minutes until no liquid remains. It can hold, covered, for a few days at this point (although it’s a good idea to give it the fork treatment every once in a while so that it doesn’t harden up.) To serve, drag the fork across the surface and scoop the ice crystals into a pretty glass and serve.